When you go to a concert, you have certain expectations. For instance, if the different sections of the orchestra (e.g. strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion) are out of harmony, you will leave feeling disappointed. Similarly, customers have expectations when they shop. So when your online and offline retail channels are out of harmony, your customers feel disappointed. They may even write bad reviews or shop elsewhere.
I think we can all pretty much agree that the pandemic placed a high level of pressure on companies to meet digital demand. Retailers worked to deliver a consistent brand experience to satisfy their customers throughout the shopping journey. However, there were challenges.
When you’re out of harmony
Most of today’s retail channels are still siloed per channel (multichannel) rather than seamlessly integrated across all channels (omnichannel). This creates bumpy, uncomfortable and unforgiveable shopping experiences for digital customers, including:
- Purchasing products online that can’t be returned to a store
- Seeing that in-store stock is different from online stock
- Not being able to pick up online orders at the store
- Trying on products in the store that can’t also be purchased online
- Asking store employees to order online stock, but they can’t
An integrated retail strategy harmonizes the retail experience
To harmonize, or blend, online and in‑store channels, retailers need to move from multichannel models, in which product movement and customer data are separate for each channel (e.g. one channel for mobile, in-store, catalog purchases, etc.) to an omnichannel model that provides centralized product and customer data across all channels. Creating a harmonized omnichannel retail model requires an integrated retail strategy with a unified integration platform.
Why integration? An omnichannel model requires centralization of all data. However, omnichannel challenges arise because different steps in the consumer-purchasing journey – promotion, pricing, shopping, paying and fulfillment – have become decentralized or siloed across multiple systems. The reason for the decentralization of data is that, over the years, retailers have expanded to accommodate diverse and complex digital ecosystems, which include multiple data sources, different data types, different protocols, different target systems (inventory, product, loyalty, orders and CRM, etc.) and an array of external partners, such as suppliers and distributors.
To centralize this complex ecosystem into an omnichannel model requires at least the following features in an integration solution:
- A single integration platform that can quickly connect all data sources, applications and target systems
- A single integration platform with a vast array of connectors to accommodate all data types, data communication protocols and applications, independent of where these applications are hosted, on-premises or in the cloud
- A single integration platform that can quickly connect all technically-capable and non-technical external partners
- A single integration platform to provide centralized end-to-end visibility of all business processes for faster responses and resolutions of exceptions
- A low-code/no-code integration platform that reduces excessive coding fees and reduces time to market
- A future-proof integration framework that easily meets both today’s and tomorrow’s ever-changing digital environment (including blockchain, AI, machine learning, etc.)
SEEBURGER provides the integration platform that retailers need to meet these omnichannel integration requirements. With SEEBURGER Integration, you can ensure that product and customer information flows seamlessly across all blended channels – online and in store, as part of your integrated retail strategy. You can provide a harmonious shopping experience, while improving resource utilization and avoiding conflicts between channels that create poor customer experiences.
With SEEBURGER Integration, retailers can enjoy the following advantages:
- Speedy and reliable ship-from-store fulfillment capabilities
- Comprehensive cross-platform integration to back-end systems (orders, warehouse, transportation, product management systems, etc.)
- Improved data visibility and monitoring your business transactions
- Reduced overall integration costs
Stay tuned for my next post, Realize Your Harmonized Retail Potential with API Integration, coming soon. Feel free to visit our Retail page for more information.
SEEBURGER simplifies complex connections between clouds, applications and people, so you can focus on what matters. Share business-critical data. Make split-second decisions. Operate at scale. It’s all possible, with SEEBURGER Integration – a mix of our technology, our services and our people – all here for the sole purpose of accelerating your business.
5 Reasons Why You Need Harmonized Retail Connections!
Get in contact with us.
We are looking forward to your message.